Sunday, June 29, 2014

I like to hide in small spaces

We all know I'm a stud, right? That's a given. But the fact remains that I'm not...well...huge. I'm actually kind of tiny. When you realize Angel's almost three times my size you get an idea of how little I really am. So, although I'm studly and fierce and all, you huge creatures scare the kibble droppings out of me. Not so much because I fear you, per se. What I fear is getting accidentally stepped on or kicked by you. Because, let's face it, you giants are clumsy.

When I'm not in my bed, on Beard's lap, angling for a treat, or hanging with Nice, you're apt to find me (or not find me as the case may be) hiding. Small places with up top cover provide me all the protection I need. If I can keep out of view, all the better. Don't judge me. It's an instinctual thing.

They keep my food bowl in the kitchen by the refrigerator. When I have my dinner, I race into the kitchen, grab a kibble or three, then dash back, and park myself underneath the dining room table where I devour my kill.  The protective cover of table and chairs gives me all the comfort I need, and the confidence to eat in peace.

Because of my incredibly busy and stressful life, I might, on rare occasions, nap pretty much throughout the morning, and well into the afternoon. Should I be napping and should I hear a loud noise, this is what results.


Sometimes there's rain. Sometimes there's thunder. One's as bad as the other, as far as I'm concerned. When that happens, you might well find me here.



Or you might not find me at all. Ask Angel to tell you the story about how I disappeared just two weeks or so after we came to live with Beard and Nice. They were convinced I'd been carried off by a Chihuey thief or a Golden Eagle. Truth is, I'd simply found a hidey-hole and fallen asleep. It was good to see them so frantic, though. They had the reward posters made up and everything.

I used to sleep with Angel in the doggy bed in the living room at  beddy-bye time, but now I like to sleep in the bedroom. There's a doggy bed there too, and that's where I usually wind up crashing. I don't start there, though. I start here, between the cedar chest and walnut chest of drawers.



There's about a four or five inch gap and I'm certain nothing but me can get in there, which means nothing can get to me. Once Beard is out cold, which at his age takes no time at all, I quietly trot across to to the other side of the bed and plop myself into the doggy bed.

It ain't easy being small, but you learn to cope. And as long as you pretty much get your way on everything life has to offer, life's good.

TTYL.

Stewie


10 comments:

  1. I love you Stewie. I can hardly wait to see you and Angel. Please tell Angel that I love her too. I often carry doggie treats in my pockets so I think you will both adore me. Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Miss Aunt Judy. Thank you for the kind words. I'll pass along your message to Angel too. We both like doggie treats (soft ones please--damn vets took too many of my teeth) and I'm sure we'll adore you. I guarantee we'll tolerate you at a minimum.

      By the way, is it true that you're five years older than your younger brother is?

      Delete
  2. Hi Stewie. You'd think Bearded Man would put your food bowl under the table, so that you could eat in peace, but humans are not really all that smart. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Gail, you are wise. I've learned that people aren't all they're cracked up to be. Especially Beard Face. He's a little light between the ears, if you know what I mean. I've heard rumors that when he was studying mathematics, he thought base four was some kind of game played with a stick and a ball.

      Delete
  3. Stewie, you are a beast. You are in touch with your inner predator and instinct drives you to seek out lairs from where to reign over your territory. A place to devour your Kibble kills. A hunter's rightful domicile.

    Never give in to fear! We are canine and we are mighty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This coming from a dog that is afraid of the neighbors chicken.

      Delete
    2. I'm not afraid of the neighbor's chicken anymore.

      *burp*

      Delete
    3. Tiffi!

      Love your new motto. I think I'ma spread the word:

      We are canine and we are mighty! :)

      Delete
  4. Stewie, is that you backed way into the corner in that second picture? I had to look three times before I saw you. Rest assured, you are one well-hidden pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preesh, Miss Cassandra. I do like to blend in. Keeps me safer. Plus I get to see what's going on. Not that I'm kinky or anything....

      Delete